Monday, April 29, 2013

Some Health Benefits of Running!

Running offers you more than a fun way to exercise, the chance to support a good cause by entering a race, or a reason buy cool new gear that you probably don't really need. The countless health benefits of pounding the pavement or trails are motivating:

  • Improved cardiovascular function = strong heart!
  • Decreased body fat =  healthy heart!
  • Increased good cholesterol = clean arteries!
  • Maintain a healthy weight = lowered blood pressure!
These are just some advantages of giving our legs a break from the repetitive "put one foot in front of the other" while mixing things up a bit for our beloved bodies. One of my top five personal favorite benefits is calorie-burning. I love food, and I have no intentions of dieting. But if I ate whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, I'd without a doubt be overweight, running (no pun meant) the risk of high blood pressure, diabetes, or heart attack (cardiovascular disease is the #1 cause of death in the USA!).

Running allows me 100% guilt-free enjoyment of a black and white cookie (lots of calories and high in fat), an everything bagel with lox and cream cheese (lots of calories and high in fat), or an eggplant parmigiana dinner with bread and a glass of red wine... and maybe sharing some fried calamari to start or a tartufo for dessert! (umm, lots of calories and high in fat). But savoring every morsel of the foods I like is a treat well worth the miles in my running shoes (as well as the cool new gear that I just bought!).

Regular exercise maintains bone mass, which helps to prevent osteoporosis and fractures. The younger you are when you begin to incorporate a daily routine of exercise is crucial, but it's never too late to start an exercise program, whether it's once a week or every day. Be mindful of your body; be aware of the signals you receive from your knees, hips, backs, etc. You want to challenge yourself, but never push your limits to the risk of injury.

And to clarify, just because I go out for a run doesn't give me license to eat treats of any kind after every run; I keep up with eating foods high in nutrients and maintain a healthy diet. But the occasional splurge of cuisine or snacks I wouldn't normally eat on an everyday basis is exciting.

Whether it's your first or 50th or 5,000th... wishing you a pleasant and healthy run!



No comments:

Post a Comment