Friday, January 21, 2011

Locks of Love and Others, Too!

I have a vivid memory of my Kindergarten class picture, with my long hair neatly parted down the middle, just hanging at my sides like a curtain. I loved that look. I had it again in my early 20's, post-1980's punk/pre-Friends hair. I couldn't help being born too late to be a real hippie.

Now, in the 4th decade of my life, I'm going for it again. But not because I want to be age 5 or 22 again, and not because I've been too busy to get a haircut, but because I have always wanted to grow my hair and donate to a charity that makes wigs and hairpieces for adults and children with medical hair loss. I figured that the more time went by and the older I get, this chance might not come again. I'm healthy and I don't have much gray, save for a few random strands that I find (and pull out... don't try that at home).

I researched and found these organizations to choose from:
Pantene Beautiful Lengths
Wigs for Kids
Locks of Love
Children with Hair Loss
Childhood Leukemia Foundation

After reading each charity's requirements, I had to eliminate Wigs For Kids (no artificial color of any kind allowed; sometimes I blend in a semi-permanent color when I want a change) and Childhood Leukemia Foundation (no gray allowed; although I have such an insignificant amount, I wouldn't want that child to wear that overlooked strand!).

So, my choices are Pantene Beautiful Lengths, Locks of Love, and Children with Hair Loss.

Pantene Beautiful Lengths creates wigs at no cost to women with hair loss due to cancer treatment. Donated hair can be no more than 5% gray, semi-permanent color is ok, and the lock must be a minimum of eight inches.  Locks of Love creates hairpieces for financially disadvantaged children under the age of 18 who experience long-term medical hair loss. Donated hair can be colored and the lock must be a minimum of 10 to 12 inches. Children with Hair Loss creates pieces for individuals under age 21 who experince medically-related hair loss. Non-chemically treated hair is preferred, gray hair is ok, and the lock must be a minimum of eight inches.

It's difficult to decide which charity to choose. While they're all wonderful, I'm leaning toward Pantene Beautiful Lengths. Not only do I meet all of the requirements, but being 40-years old and knowing women who have experienced cancer treatments, it hits closer to home than the other organizations.

I welcome advice or feedback if you have knowledge of this undertaking.
Or maybe after reading this, you'll be inspired to grow a lock for donation yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment